Tuesday, February 14, 2012

The heart of Valentine's Day

The commercials are selling flowers and candy, lingerie and jewelry.  Facebook is overrun by people posting pictures of the gifts their "significant others" got them. 

But what is it all?

Love shouldn't be bound to one day that society commercializes.  Real love shouldn't be bound to that kind of pressure and obligation.

Love is dinner out on a Saturday night, snuggling on the couch with our different kinds of ice cream while watching How I Met Your Mother.  Love is picking up his dirty clothes off the floor before he can get out of the shower to do it himself.  Love is walking in to a clean kitchen, him with suds up to his elbows from the dish water.  Love is whispers in the dark, stolen kisses beside the refrigerator.  Love is flexibility.  Love is curling up beside each other, warm beneath the blankets while the little one's snore seep through her doorway to ours.  Love is unexpected SunDrops.  Love is creating a life together.

Love can't be confined to one day.  It should be an every day occurrence. 

I'm not a big Valentine's Day fan, if you haven't noticed.  I don't want my husband to feel obligated one day of the year.  I want him to willingly love throughout the year.  So on this day, I am thankful that we don't do anything differently. 

Love should be daily.  A sacrifice, a beautiful creation, regularly being fed and nourished.

One day does not make a love strong.  365 days a year do.

No comments:

Post a Comment