Sunday, September 21, 2014

The Dusty Road

It has been so long since I've posted.  I'm a little ashamed of myself - but life... well, life has just been crazy lately.  I'm pulling a writing out from earlier this year tonight to get myself back on track.  I'd love some feedback.



        The dust settled about my feet as I paused only for a moment.  The rumble of the crowd lining the street became dim in my mind.  My feet stumbled a few more steps – dry and cracking against the uneven and stony ground.  I winced as the cracks broke open and my blood began to dot the dry ground.  It drank my blood thirstily, leaving only dark smears as I drug my feet.  The tears began to trail down my face, mixing with the sweat from the wood strapped to my back.  It was my guilt, my shame, every wrong I had ever done.  They had found out about it all.  There had been no mercy as they tied my wrists to the rough wooden post across my back.  I stumbled again, the wood scratching into my almost-bare back, the ropes digging into my wrists as I struggled to remain standing.  I gasped, but it was hard to breath beneath the weight of the planks.  My sobs came in short, spastic bursts that blurred my eyes and parched my throat with dust.  I could no longer make out the people lining the street.  How could they do this?  How could they watch me suffer this way?  My knees buckled and the rough hand of a soldier jerked me back to a standing position.  I yelped as his fingernails dug into my parched skin.  Sweat ran down my back and arms and legs in streaming rivulets.  When my legs decided they could hold me no longer, I crashed to my knees.  Unable to catch myself, my face smashed into the ground next.  Though my knees hurt, it was nothing compared to the sharp pain radiating through my face.  As I struggled to rise, the warm metallic taste of blood drizzled into my mouth.  I lost my will.  Let them kill me here.  There was no point in getting back up.  There was nothing left to live for. 
            Then I felt someone move to my right.  I instinctively flinched, expecting a crushing blow.  Instead, a firm, warm hand grasped my upper arm and pulled me gently to a kneeling position.  A man that I had never seen before cupped my chin, raising my face to meet his.  He had the kindest eyes I had ever seen.  I couldn’t understand why the guards had stilled, watching with cautious eyes.  The man knelt beside me as I watched him and began to untie the rope binding my wrists.  When he finished with the first, my arm fell to my side, numb from the pain.  Then he moved to my other wrist, carefully untying it.  As my body slumped, he grabbed the wood on my back and lifted it off with a groan.  The plank was heavy and awkward.  He set it on the ground and then knelt before me once more.  “Why?” was all I could think to whisper.  A soft smile graced his face.  “Because, my child, you are loved.  Believe in me and you will be saved this persecution.”  My brain struggled to understand.  “But who are you?” I murmured, my voice shaky.  The man placed a gentle hand on the side of my face, wiping away a trickle of blood with his thumb.  “I am.”  As he spoke those two little words, the guards seemed to come out of their trance and grasped him roughly.  I watched in shock as they threw the boards upon his back and jerked the ropes around his wrists.  What were they doing?!  I couldn’t move, though.  I watched as they yanked him to standing.  Blood was already coursing down his arms from the ropes.  As they began to pull him along the dusty road, his eyes met mine one more time and he whispered, “Believe I am.”  Suddenly, I knew that this was the man I had heard about.  The Son of God.  The I am.  My legs had lost their feeling and as they dragged him away,  all I could do was watch. 
            By the time I could feel my legs again, I ran after the crowd following the soldiers.  I watched in shamed silence as they raised a rugged wooden cross and I recognized the man hanging on it.  Blood gushed from wounds in his hands and feet as he sagged against the cross.  I pushed my way through the crowd and fell to my knees at the foot of the cross.  His eyes met mine when I raised my head.  “Father, forgive them,” he cried.  Then, eyes still holding mine, he whispered, “I will see you in paradise, my beloved.  You have been set free.”


No comments:

Post a Comment