Since I got married two splendid years ago, I've been learning "mama" lessons. I'm a step mom only, so that gene that suddenly appears when you give birth has not yet occurred in me. Nurturing doesn't come naturally. I've had to learn these mama lessons as I go. And whether or not she refers to me as mama, I am half mama to that little girl, so that makes me a mama for sure. For instance:
Mama lesson #1: Just because I cherish the privacy of my own bed does not make me a bad mother. In dire circumstances, I can make exceptions. I've learned, though, that for Miss Thang one night in bed with us can turn into a series of "someone needs to sleep with me" nights. Mama can only handle so much.
Mama lesson #2: Not allowing her butt-loads of sugar, also does not make me a bad mama. Miss Thang drinks water without complaining, and usually prefers it over other stuff (we usually don't have other stuff anyways lol).
Mama lesson #3: As said mama of the house, I am the authority. This is something I'm learning in counseling. Paul and I have the duty from God to shepard Miss Thang in the way that we believe is biblical. That's a freeing concept that this mama was so thankful to learn.
This week, I've learned a lesson in the sick family. Not only did Miss Thang get sick, but my dear hubby also got sick this week. We're talking flu-like sick. Paul was sick to his stomach. Miss Thang had a headache, stomach, fever. So, I learned about taking care of them both. Medicines every 4 hours to control fevers. Vitamin C whenever I could get them to swallow it (or chew it, in Miss Thang's case). Double Vitamin C for mama, because mama cannot end up sick too. Liquids whenever I could badger them into drinking to ward off dehydration. Lots and lots of rest.
My sweet hubs is not totally better yet, but I think he's working that way. Miss Thang, after a full day of laying around watching TV, has lost the fever and was ready to go back to school.
Mama lesson #4: When the fever is down and you mention that the kiddo is going back to school, be prepared for the sickness to suddenly reappear. Be strong. They will survive.
Mama lesson #5: When everyone is comfortably resting, treat yourself to a bubble bath/shower, with a homemade body scrub. Mix honey with brown sugar. I know you're automatically thinking you're going to end up sticky, but... it scrubs your skin, leaving it silky soft and washes right off. Plus, you smell like honey and sugar after! Mamas need treats every now and then. Especially when they're taking care of their sick babies.
Until next time,
Keep Reflecting :)
You are so much stronger then me if you manage to keep your bed to yourself! I get weak at night when Landon wakes up at night and he somehow ends up in my bed almost every night! It stinks! Usually, he has been waking up once and that is when he would transfer from his bed to mine but lately, I've been strong enough to keep him in his own bed when he wakes up, but now he's been waking up a second time and I'm too tired!! UGH! I need to be stronger!! I love your mama lessons! They are so true!
ReplyDeleteHaha :) I definitely know what you mean. After two or three times, Daddy usually gives in. He's a heavy sleeper and just lets her crawl in. She's getting better about it. Stay strong, Mama :) You can do it!
ReplyDelete