Sunday, August 18, 2013

Journeys of a Woman-Child Stepmom: Vol. 1

I've decided that I need a title that will stick with my posts that are actually more like random thoughts than full, cohesive posts. 

Thus begins the Journeys of a Woman-Child Stepmom.  It may sound silly, but it really describes me perfectly.  This is a journey - and I'm realizing that the end product is not today.  It is not tomorrow.  I may never even see it.  It is a journey.  Also, it connects because when I got married I was a woman-child (still am, most days).  If you understand where I am coming from on that one, fabulous.  If you don't, then I can't explain it.  You have to have lived that woman-child feeling to know what I mean. 

Anyways, back to random post - Journeys of a Woman-Child Stepmom: Volume 1

Things I've learned this week:
  1. The first week of school was created to test the patience and endurance of moms, dads and teachers alike, I am convinced.  Oh my goodness.  The clothes, the supplies, the schedules, the lists and forms.  If you can make it through the first week of school with all of your hair still attached to your head, congratulations.  That is most definitely a major accomplishment.  I applaud you.  I applaud myself - since I still have most of my hair and it is now going into the second week of school!
  2. Eyebrows do grow back - fairly quickly, actually.  If one's child was to shave said eyebrows almost completely off (or enough off to make her look constantly surprised), a mother need only to wait approximately a month and a half for said eyebrows to make a full reappearance and said child to look normal again.  Note to self: It's a good thing our razors stay safely in our bathroom (as she showers in her own).  I think her mother has learned to hide her razors now. 
  3. When you turn your back on the public library for "better" things, such as a Kindle and e-books, said mystical, magical library will wait patiently for you.  It will stay still and silent, waiting for you to delve back into the depths and rows of FREE books.  And once you step foot back in there, you will most likely be transported to a place that you remember - hours wandering through row upon row of books with every imaginable topic and cover, the silence of the library just beckoning you to pick up a book and see where you end up, piling them up in your arms until you can't carry anymore to the front desk, hours upon hours of a thick book in your hands, breathing in the musty smell of worn paper, eyes pouring over each page and worn out crease.  Ah... thanks for waiting for me. 
  4. The best recipes come from scratch - or at least a version of scratch.  I made cheesy garlic drop biscuits today.  I've made them twice before but both times were failures.  Today, I added the main ingredients and then didn't take another look at the recipe... Absolutely delicious!  My husband sang my praise, my child fell at my feet (well, maybe not quite, but they were both quite pleased).  Here's my recipe:
    1. Mix 2 cups of Bisquick in a bowl with a spoonful of minced garlic, salt, pepper, basil, oregano, and a pinch of crushed red pepper.
    2. Then mix in just enough milk to make a sticky dough.  Note: They will expand/liquefy some in the oven, so go a little more to the sticky side.
    3. Add in several handfuls of shredded cheese and mix well.
    4. Drop onto a baking sheet and bake at 425 degrees for about 10-12 minutes.
  5. If you ever put items in a storage unit, spend the extra money to get a climate controlled one.  I witnessed a friend's horror at unloading her storage unit only to discover that not only were there spiders in the boxes (obviously inevitable) but her furniture had mold on it from the humidity and several pictures were ruined.  Thank goodness, I know a guy who cleans carpets and upholstery... ;)
  6. If you find a book you love, don't feel bad about reading it over and over and over again.  As long as you're still just as in love with it each time. 
  7. Don't feel like a bad parent when you tell your child to put away the Kindle and pick up an actual book.  Or when you tell her that she can't play on the computers at the library because the library is for finding books.  Unexpectedly, she may find one that she loves and blow you away by how fast she reads it - especially being only in the 2nd grade.  Also, you might end up finding the entire family crashed out on the living room furniture, television off, each one totally engrossed in their own books.  My, my, my... isn't the silence divine?
  8. A baby giggled/smiled/walked to me at church today.  I'm pretty sure I wanted to take him home.
  9. I cannot accomplish everything at one time.  I am not superwoman.  So, pick a pile and work diligently through it until it disappears.  Don't beat yourself up or stress over the fact that there is so much to do.  Do what you can when you can.  Unless you're like a surgeon or something, then there's a little more pressure to get things done in a specified time slot and correctly.
That is about all my brain has room for at the moment since I'm relaxing and it's almost bed-time :)  Have a fabulous week and learn all sorts of new things.

Until next time,
Keep Reflecting :)

No comments:

Post a Comment