Saturday, January 22, 2011

The beginning of a healthier me...

I'm happy with my body for the most part.  I love my curves and I love my body shape.  I do not, however, love the fact that I often suffer from fatigue and am not the healthiest me I can be.  I love my husband's body.  I think he is the sexiest man alive.  However, he is not happy with the way he looks or feels.  So, we're about to embark on a journey to remake our lifestyles.  You, my readers, are coming along for the journey :)

I love food.  I love cooking.  I love the smells, the mixing of spices and herbs, the creation of a delicious meal out of mere ingredients.  I have always refused to diet.  I hate diets with a passion.  This journey is not about a diet.  This journey is going to be about changing the foods my family eats in order to make my family more healthy.  I'm talking REAL foods.  This isn't going to happen overnight and I know that.  It's going to be slow-going and it's going to be fairly difficult, but I desperately want myself and my family to be healthy.  I've already started a few little things like switching to whole wheat bread and spaghetti, brown rice, olive oil, etc.  

I got overwhelmed really quickly when Paul and I decided to do this because I wasn't sure where to start.  I've asked the advice of people like my sister-in-law, who is doing something like this.  Then, I found somewhat of a guide in AllYou magazine!  Yay them!  :)  I'm going to repeat that the whole point of this journey is to remake my family's eating habits and begin eating REAL food, rather than so much processed junk.  I had a teacher that once told me, "Look at the delicious foods God created!  Let's eat them naturally, instead of processing them." 

The AllYou guide starts with Week One: Noting Your Foods.  During week one (which will start on Monday once I run it past my hubby), you carry around a small notebook and make note of everything you eat or drink during the week (a full 7 days).  This week is not about changing your eating.  This week is simply about noting everything you consume.  At the end of this week, we're supposed to highlight everything in the journal that is processed or packaged.  

I'll let you know how it goes and I plan to inform you of the journey along the way.  I'll inform you of interesting tidbits I find out.  You may even find yourself wanting to eat healthier, but that is your decision.  I don't even know if you'll find these posts interesting, but that's the great thing... it's my blog! :)  By the way, you know I love all my readers!

Until next time,
Keep Reflecting :)   

1 comment:

  1. Go Savannah! I'm so proud of you guys! You can do it, I know! Another thing you can do to help with the fatigue, eat veggies (especially leafy green ones) and take B-12 vitamins. We take B-12 and I can really tell a difference in the days when I take it and when I forget.

    ReplyDelete