Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Who made you king of anything?


King of Anything
Sara Bareilles

I absolutely love this song!  It's one of those that I get stuck in my head and I sing throughout the day.  I think it resonates so deeply with me because it's so true.  I'm going to post the lyrics at the end of this post, just so you can read them.

I am a deeply opinionated person, but I have a tendency to stifle my opinions and only air them to my darling husband (who, bless him, listens to me no matter what).  It took me a long time to learn to stand up for myself and my dreams (and I'm still learning).  A lot of my learning I accredit to my wonderful husband.  When we decided to get married, my mom hated the idea.  Long story short, we did our wedding our way.  My husband has gone a long way to teaching me that I am an adult, a beautiful woman in Christ, and I can make my own decisions.  That may sound very silly to you, but for me, I am eternally grateful. 

I tend to do things out of obligation.  Then, I realized that I can say "no" without having to explain myself.  I am an adult.  I don't need to make excuses.  I can stand up for myself, my dreams, my feelings, and my man.  I know so many ladies who make decisions because of what everyone else says about it.  I know girls who are capable women, but they allow themselves to be pushed around by people who are more domineering than they are.  Nothing against you, if you're like that, but I don't want to be like that.  My husband is so good for me because he is passionate about everything he does and he doesn't care who knows it. 

So, you know what?  I am learning to speak up for myself because, as Sara said, "Who made you king of anything?"  You can speak your mind in love.  You can stand up for yourself in love.  You can say no in love.  So, who cares if you disagree?  You don't have to live this life because it's mine.  Sometimes the truth hurts or stings, but "the truth will set you free" according to the Bible.  

Let's start being ourselves, living our lives to the fullest, and loving people with everything we've got.  None of that includes buckling beneath someone who is more intimidating than you.  So...


Keep drinking coffee
Stare me down across the table
While I look outside
So many things I'd say if only I were able
But I just keep quiet and count the cars that pass by
You've got opinions, man
We're all entitled to 'em
But I never asked
So let me thank you for your time
And try not to waste any more of mine
And get out of here fast

I hate to break it to you, babe
But I'm not drowning
There's no one here to save

CHORUS:
Who cares if you disagree?
You are not me
Who made you king of anything?
So you dare tell me who to be
Who died and made you king of anything?

You sound so innocent
All full of good intent
Swear you know best
But you expect me to jump up on board with you
And ride off into your delusional sunset

I'm not the one who's lost
With no direction, oh
But you'll never see
You're so busy making masks
With my name on them in all caps
You've got the talking down, just not the listening

CHORUS

All my life, I've tried to make everybody happy
While I just hurt and hide waiting for someone to tell me
It's my turn to decide

CHORUS x2

Let me hold your crown, babe

Until next time,
Keep Reflecting :)

No comments:

Post a Comment